Your tent is one of the most important pieces of equipment when camping. Finding a tent that is just right for you depends on the type of trip you are planning. A summer, overnight trip for two will require a different tent than a five person, one week trip in the winter. Tents range from lightweight backpacking tents to heavy-duty, four-season shelters. They range in size from 1 to 6 or more people.
- Buy what you can afford. The more you use your new tent, the greater its potential value becomes.
- Tent design dictates everything. Floor space, ventilation, head clearance, overall size and- to some degree- weight and even price are determined by the tent’s design.
- Wall tents offer all the comforts of home and make a beautiful permanent camp. Family-style tents are great for vacations lasting from two days to two weeks. Smaller, less bulky models are fine for packing into a canoe or the car trunk. Consider a backpacking tent if weight and space are factors or when a quick overnight shelter is needed.
- Thanks to their two-layer construction, most backpacking tents can be used year around. Specially design features include snow valances, breather holes and adjustable vents to eliminate wind shear.
- Light-colored fabrics allow better light penetration, but darker colors absorb more heat. Make sure the fabric has been treated with a fire retardant.
- Look for bells and whistles, too. Mesh pockets for storing wallets, eyeglasses and other personal items will be appreciated. So are privacy curtains, skylights, full sidewall windows, D rings for hanging a pencil light, retractable clothesline, extra storage spots and built-in awnings.
Source: The Camper’s and Backpacker’s Bible – Tom Huggler, Author.
For more information on how to choose which tent is right for you, visit:
Ezine Articles- Camping 101: Choosing a Tent
Hiking Gear and Equipment Used for Camping: Camping Tents
Backpacking Tent Tips
Backpacker Tent Tips
Family Camping Tent Tips
Not sure of what kind of tent you need? Why not rent it?
Visit ayoopa.com. The online marketplace to RENT travel and outdoor gear.